Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Study in: Boxes (Notebook Paper)


Sitting at my craft desk yesterday I had two things in my head ... the boxes concept from my last couple posts and the the CAS-ual Fridays challenge to make a card with one really long side and one really short side.


What to do, what to do. Staring at my workspace, I had an answer that I though would be interesting to try. A piece of notebook paper.


This is what I've been stamping on for the past half year. A friend in our local crafting group gave us a great idea to use old spiral-bound notebooks when stamping. They provide a little cushion to stamp on which helps pick up finer details (vs. a hard table), and they can be used for scrap paper (without all those little pieces floating around and making a mess). I always test things out before putting them on a card, so these pages tend to get filled up weekly. A benefit that I recently discovered is that it's a neat history of your projects. Flipping through you can see exactly what you were working on and when, what didn't turn out so well, etc. This page has the "thanks" stamp from this card, the "just a note" from the card in this post, a bee and washi tape from this post, a medallion for a future post, and some squares from the recent CASE this Sketch that I abandoned and never made into a card. I have craft ADD so it's also a good way for me to record my ideas for things I want to work on in the future.

Anyway, back to the card ...

  This one is 8 1/2 x 4, sized to fit in a standard long envelope. It's made of one wide box, and several 1/2" wide boxes. Same measurements as my piece of notebook paper. The tiny boxes turned out to be difficult to fold straight. I was nervous stamping the sentiment after all the work folding the boxes, and since the "j" crossed below the line. I made a pencil mark on the lower box where the tail of the "j" should go, stamped it a second time, and it lined up fine.


 Here's a side view. The hole in the margin of the notebook paper was hard to get since it crossed boxes. I did two half punches on each box. Also, the blue lines are from coloring the INSIDE of the boxes blue, so when they are put together your eye sees a faint colored line, but it's not a drawn line.

In my head I thought it would be quick to fold a bunch of boxes and attach them all. Not bad, but not very quick either. Oh well, it was fun to play around!

Thanks for looking!
-Kelly

20 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this! Pinning! What WILL you do next? I can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Folding folding folding, I could never do anything so tiny--in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another amazingly creative and fun creation. Lots of wow factor today, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very crafty cool...:)
    http://carolescreativecritters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your ideas are always so outside the box...this is another showstopper! Wow, Kelly!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been really enjoying your study!! Such cool projects have come out of your workspace. I am in love with your spiral notebook idea!! Love everything about it...the ease of use and the end result! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeek! Major cool card! And I love the notebook idea, how have I never heard of that! Glad you entered another card into the challenge this week at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unbelievable ! When I saw this up close....wow! Love the spiral notebook idea ,I'm using it. A friend mentioned to use this for DT projects. But I like the idea of looking back .....thanks for sharing that tip. Love coming here and seeing what you have cooking .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish my playing around produced such great cards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a creative card! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, so this is even more amazing than the hexies!
    And I love your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could never compare your work because each is amazing in its own way.
    you keep pushing yourself for more innovative ideas and that totally deserves more praises i could ever deliver to you! This card is amazing! and i love the fact that you included your notepad!

    Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this, Kelly! Awesome card and folding! Thank you so much for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea using the notebooks, Kelly! Your card is so deceptive at first glance, so simple. But, oh, no, not you! I knew I had to come and have a closer look. Awe-inspiring, again!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Erm.....I think the word I'm looking for is AWESOME! Definitely feeling inspired over here! I have just made a new-to-me style box this week and I totally appreciate how time consuming the whole process is - I am in awe of this little beauty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kelly - my jaw has dropped over and over again paging through all of your box series cards! Wow! You are so creative - I just love what you come up with each time I visit!!!! I am going to have to come back again when I have more time and try this out!!!! So inspiring!!!
    Hugs,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love how your brain works. :) So cute and clever. And the notebook is a great idea. I just use a big desk blotter, but it doesn't have as much "cushion" when I get towards the bottom. I love the way you can look back on your experiments by flipping through the notebook for automatic inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm running out of superlatives!! This is - again - genius!!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly