Saturday, January 14, 2017

Stamp Kissing; A Butterfly Gets His Pattern

Hi there! This set of birthday cards was rescued by the stamp kissing technique, which I'd like to briefly share.


 My first attempt at this card ended up looking rather plain, as all the butterflies lined up for display were solid colors. Especially the large yellow butterfly. I wanted to add some of the distinctive coloring butterflies are known for so, with the help of my MISTI, I did some stamp kissing.


After stamping the butterfly in yellow (from Catherine Pooler Designs' Butterfly Notes), I inked up some spots from Catherine Pooler's Spot On set and stamped them directly onto the butterfly stamp. (what a messy stamper I am ... check out those inky fingers!! I often wonder while I'm out doing errands if people wonder why I look this way!)



Then I used the MISTI to stamp the butterfly again and all the spots transferred perfectly to the butterfly. I love using this technique, especially when the kissed designs bleed off the edge of the image, like the dots on the top of the butterfly. The only other way I can figure out to get this look would be to stamp through a mask surrounding the butterfly, and who wants to cut out a mask if you don't have to! Such a handy technique!
  
  
For the green and fuchsia butterflies I stamped with two shades of ink to make them a little more interesting.


Once I had the spacing of the layout figured out, I made multiples. Let's face it, after you've put all the stamps and supplies away, you're not likely to come back later and try to recreate your design. Having multiples, especially of designs I really like, makes it so much easier to say good-bye to them!


Here's one of the multiples. I'm still smack in the middle of my love affair with the new Catherine Pooler Inks. In fact, due to such extreme usage, I just placed my order for reinkers. If you're thinking about getting the inks I would definitely recommend to get the reinkers as well, since these spongy pads need reinking more often than the felt-pad inks we typically use.
 
These cards are featured in the Catherine Pooler Tiara Challenge over at Stamp Nation to help celebrate their SIXTH birthday. Happy Birthday, Stamp Nation!

Thanks so much for stopping by!
-Kelly

4 comments:

  1. oh I just love how you used these butterflies and bday sentiments Kelly. Also I love the softer dp borders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! The kissing takes it to a whole new level!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't used that technique in like forever, Kelly, and I can see how it adds interest and dimension to your butterflies. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly